Fun Facts About Janesville!
Janesville is filled with fun and exciting memories and new ones in the making. Here are a few examples of what our city is known for:
- Camden Playground is he largest park in the world that is accessible for individuals with disabilities.
- Our Rock Aqua Jays are an internationally known championship water ski team.
- Janesville can claim the first public high school built in the state of Wisconsin.
- The Janesville Country Club is the oldest country club in Wisconsin and sixth oldest in the nation.
- NFL Hall of Famer Bart Starr threw his first touchdown pass as a professional football player in Janesville.
- Legendary football coach Vince Lombardi gave his last speech as a Green Bay Packer and his first as a Washington Redskin in Janesville.
- Janesville hosted the first established 4-H youth fair in the country.
- The first Wisconsin State Fair was held in Janesville.
- Carrie Jacobs Bond wrote the classic song "I Love You Truly" while residing in Janesville.
- The Gideon Society began at the Janesville YMCA in 1899.
- Janesville's Peace Park is the site of the World's tallest Peace Pole, which is at 52 feet tall.
If you would like to add to our fun facts list, send us an email!